"Sustainable Communities must combine social inclusion, homes, jobs, services, infrastructure and respect for the environment to create places where people will want to live and work now and in the future." Rt. Hon. John Prescott MP, Deputy Prime Minister, February 2005 Development and regeneration will include; Site identification Development option Business case planning Concept & Detailed design Energy efficiency and sustainability Project management Property development can...
Earth's long history tells a story of constant environmental change and of close connections between physical and biological environments. It also demonstrates the robustness of life. Simple organisms first appeared on Earth some 3.8 billion years ago, and complex life forms emerged approximately 2 billion years ago. Life on Earth has endured through many intense stresses, including ice ages, warm episodes, high and low oxygen levels, mass extinctions, huge volcanic eruptions, and meteorite...
The main reasons for global desertification are increasing amount of fires, over-usage of ground water, excess cultivation of crops, overgrazing livestock, deforestation, and the increase in global warming. All these factors in one way or the other lead to the reduction of plants and tress from the ground, which ultimately results in the soil erosion and desertification. Global warming plays a very crucial role in enhancing global desertification. In dry areas, the warm winds erode the top...
Water resources in Malaysia come in the form of groundwater, lakes, seas and rivers. The rivers have served as the sole source of water supply for Malaysian consumptions in all parts of the country. Throughout the years, the river water quality has deteriorated and making its availability for consumption much more difficult than in the past. Our river pollutions are because to point and non-point resources. Major land-based pollution activities identified are urban settlements, agricultural...
Buffer strips are filter zones inserted near the edge of the field, between the agricultural fields and the receiving water, permanently vegetated with trees, scrub or grasses (planted or indigenous). Buffer strips can have several different configurations such as grassed waterways, filter strips, vegetative barriers, riparian buffers, contour buffer strips or field borders (figure 3). Grassed waterways are very simply and useful buffers to reduce soil erosion and capture most nutrients and...
Singapore is a small country with no natural resources, it is crucial to diversify the country's energy sources so as to ensure that this will not limit Singapore's economic competitiveness and growth. Currently, the gas-fired power plant generates 80% of the country's electricity and the remaining 20% coming from the oil-fired power plant [1]. The Energy Market Authority (EMA) has predicted that there would be an increasing gas consumption demand in the electricity sector [2]. Therefore,...
The report provides a brief idea of the emergence of the quality assurance scheme in order to protect our environment and further contribute to diminish the changes in global environment by controlling the emissions of the gases. It talks about the necessity of the scheme that has implemented by the government. In order to keep the environmental integrity; focus on providing transparent and valuable information to the consumers is necessary. The purpose of Quality Assurance Scheme is to help...
At present wind supplies approximately 20% of Denmark's energy needs and 50% is produced by combined heat and power plants (CHP) either local or centralized which are fuelled by coal, gas and bio fuels with the remainder coming from oil and gas power stations[1]. Demark has two unconnected national grid systems that divide the country east and west. Each of these grids has interconnectors that allow them to exchange power with neighbouring countries [2]. The western region of Denmark is better...
Abstract In this report I will outline what Pesticides are and their significant history through time from "Organic" to "Inorganic" pesticides, its their application in the agricultural field and the benefits of having Pesticides. Subsequently a History of Insecticides, a type of Pesticide will be discussed, outlining the way that it has developed through time. Following that the report will focus on how Insecticides and Pesticides are utilised. Next, are the significant...
Pakistan has been suffering from energy crisis since the last few years, which has seriously affected its people. The power sector of Pakistan suffers from a serious shortfall of up to 5000MW (USAID Pakistan: Energy Efficiency and Capacity, 2012).The gap between demand and supply has been constantly widening. People are spending sleepless nights in summer. Load shedding has become an issue of all the people. Where the rich people can afford UPS and generators, the poor ones can just afford to...